An estimated 93% of customers read product reviews before they make a purchase. Yet while it’s obvious that product reviews add more transparency, which customers are looking for during their browsing and shopping experience, many companies still don’t prioritize reviews — or even consider them important. The truth is, online product reviews are one of your most underrated ecommerce tools for generating revenue and converting sales. In fact, online reviews can be even more important than brand loyalty, free shipping, product quality or even price.
Why are product reviews relevant?
Customers want to feel confident about a product before they buy it, and unbiased reviews help give them the reassurance they need. Reviews offer an unedited view of whether a product matches the description provided, and of your company’s credibility — especially on higher-priced, luxury products. Review volume is also important to customers. Spiegel Research found that as few as five reviews on one product could increase conversion by 270%.
Positive reviews can also be used to highlight the benefits of your products. Feature customer testimonials on your website or social media and use them in your marketing materials to show potential buyers what other people have said about your products.
Finding the positive in negative reviews
While customers find confidence in positive reviews, they tend to be wary if reviews are too perfect. Five-star ratings may be perceived as “too good to be true,” so a few negative reviews can actually lend credibility. One study found that 82% of customers actively look for negative reviews.
You can also use negative reviews to your advantage. If a customer has a negative experience with one of your products, don’t ignore them. Reach out to them as soon as you can and try to resolve the issue. This shows excellent customer service and that you are willing to stand behind your product. You can even respond publicly to reviews.
Pay attention to what people are saying about your products and use that feedback constructively. If you see a trend in negative reviews, use it as an opportunity to grow. Maybe there’s a problem with a specific product or your shipping process, or there’s something you can do to improve the customer experience or even the product development process. Maybe customers are asking for a feature you can add, or pointing out a design flaw that you can fix. Negative reviews might just give you an edge to level up your product.
How to write a product review as a retailer
When writing product reviews as a retailer, it’s essential to provide valuable information, highlight key features and present an unbiased perspective to assist potential customers in making informed purchasing decisions. Here are some guidelines to follow when publishing product reviews on your blog or in your store’s YouTube videos:
- Be honest and balanced: Maintain objectivity and provide an honest assessment of the product. Highlight both positive and negative aspects, offering a balanced perspective. This helps build trust with your audience.
- Focus on benefits: Explain how the product solves a problem or meets a need. Emphasize the benefits it offers to potential customers, such as improved functionality, convenience, durability or enhanced user experience.
- Use clear and concise language: Write or speak in a clear and easily understandable manner. Ultimately you want to use language that resonates with your target audience.
- Provide supporting evidence: Whenever possible, back up your claims with evidence or examples. Include specific details, such as product dimensions, materials or technical specifications, to help customers make informed choices.
- Address common concerns: Anticipate potential customer questions or concerns and address them in the review. This demonstrates your expertise and helps customers feel confident in their purchasing decision.
Product reviews offer numerous benefits for consumers and businesses alike. By following these guidelines, anyone reviewing a product can enhance the overall shopping experience for everyone.